Education : Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering
(1991-1997) IIT Bombay
M.Tech. Aerospace Engineering (1988-1991) IIT
B.E. Mechanical Engineering (1983-1988)
MBM Engg College, Jodhpur
Contact Details: Assistant Professor
Department of Aerospace Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
Powai, Mumbai – 400 076
Tele: +91-22-25767118; Fax:
Professional Experience a total of 11 years in the following
1 Composite structures
2 Systems Design & Engineering
- Ph.D. Thesis "Trigonometric Shear Deformation Theories for Plates",
July 1991-Aug. 1997
A higher order trigonometric shear deformation theory
was developed for the analyses of composite plates subjected to static,
dynamic and impact load. The plate theory uses displacement fields containing
trigonometric terms, which simplify the governing equations. Similar displacement
fields are used for the development of a layer by layer theory for laminated
plates. A simplified sandwich beam theory was also developed for flexible
core during this work.
- Post Doctoral Fellow at University of Delaware, Sept 1997 –Aug 1998
Wave propagation in layered media was studied during
this period. Layered media used in investigation composed of single crystal
silicon plates and epoxy. Transient wave propagation analysis was also
carried out for functionally graded material.
- Research Associate, Aerospace Engineering Department, IIT Bombay,
Sept 1998 to Dec 1999.
Was deputed to CASDE for procurement and setting up
facilities. Worked on Aviator Visual Design Simulator as a tool in flight
mechanics simulation. Actively participated in CASDE technical activities
in formative stage. Delivered lectures to postgraduate students on concurrent
engineering. Also associated with structures laboratory for UG lab.
- Research Scientist, CASDE, IIT Bombay, Jan 2000 - Feb 2003
The main task is to execute the projects undertaken by
CASDE as part of students M.Tech. main project/mini project and development
of advanced experimental facilities at Integrated Modelling and Simulation
Laboratory. Involves working with project engineers on one to one basis.
Worked on various projects related to hardware and software integration.
List of projects completed and under progress is given subsequently.
- Structures laboratory for undergraduates: Experiments related
to strain gage measurement, accelerometer calibration and its usage to
find natural frequency of structure, UTM usage for characterisation of
material behavior, buckling behavior of thin walled structure etc.
- Modelling and simulation laboratory for Systems Engineering
students. Experiments based on different packages in aircraft simulation,
real time simulation, hardware simulation etc are conducted.
- Undergraduate laboratory on instrumentation. New experiments
based on MEMS sensors are included to introduce the new sensor technology
Lectures delivered as a part of course
- Delivered a four hour lecture module to M.Tech. students on concurrent
engineering and its application to composite product development.
- Delivered lecture to second year B.Tech. students on MEMS based sensors,
serial communication, Analog to digital converters and miniature aircraft
Course delivered at other institutes
- Delivered a short course on "Miniature Aircraft - Design, Build and
- Naval Institute of Aeronautical Technology, Kochi. (29th
– 30th Nov 2001)
- Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai (8th – 9th
- Parks College of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore (20th
– 21st Feb 2002)
The aim of the course is to popularise aeromodelling
as a tool in aircraft design and flight testing in aeronautical engineering
education. This approach helps a student to appreciate the complexity of
aircraft design at educational institute level. The thrust of the course
is to share CASDE experience with other educational institutes. The course
covers the aspects of MAV design, building, flying and testing. CASDE videography
platform and instrumented platform are included as case studies. More and
more case studies will be included in due course of time.
Involvement in new course development
- Coordinator for course ‘Mechatronics’, delivered by Prof. M. K. Ramasubramanian,
Mechanical Engineering, North Carolina State University. A need for such
course is felt at aerospace engineering department. Presently the course
is offered as non-credit and two faculty members, three project staff and
three students are participating. This course delivery will help the department
to gear up for delivery of this course next semester. The course notes,
various lectures delivered and the project work during this course are part
of deployment of this course on WebCT.
BE project guide
- Guided BE project: Wing Rock Demonstration Using Stepper Motor, four
electrical engineering students from Sardar Patel College of Engineering,
Mumbai worked on this project (2000-2001).
Extensive participation in B.Tech./M.Tech. projects
- Design, build and fly miniature solar powered aircraft, B.Tech. project
- Integration of instrumentation and video telemetry payloads on remotely
piloted aerial vehicle, M.Tech. project (2001)
- Thrust vectoring, M.Tech. Project (2000)
- Arya H. A new zigzag model for laminated composite beams: Free
vibration analysis. Accepted in Journal of sound and Vibration.
- Arya H., R.P. Shimpi and N.K. Naik. A zigzag model for laminated
composite plates. Accepeted in Journal of Aeronautical society of India.
- Arya H., R.P. Shimpi, N.K. Naik. A higher order displacement
model for the plate analysis, accepted in Journal of reinforced plastics
- N.K. Naik, S.V. Borade, Arya H., M. Sailendra and S.V. Prabhu.
Experimental studies on impact behavior of woven fabric composites: Effect
of impact parameters. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and composites, Vol.
21/ No. 15, 2002. pp. 1347-1362
- Arya H., R.P. Shimpi, N.K. Naik. Layer by layer analysis of
a simply supported thick flexible sandwich beam, accepted in AIAA Journal
- Arya H., R.P. Shimpi, N.K. Naik. A zigzag model for laminated
composite beams. Composite Structures, 56 (2002), 21-24.
- Naik, N.K., R. Ramasimha, Arya H., S.V. Prabhu and N. Shama
Rao. 2001. Impact response and damage tolerance characteristics of glass-carbon/epoxy
hybrid composite plates, Composites: Part B, 32B:565-574.
- Arya H., Naik N.K. and Roy B. Axial Flow Fan Blades of Fibre
Reinforced Plastics - Tooling Details : Journal of the Institution of Engineers
(India), Aerospace Engineering Division, 1991, 72, 18.
Communicated to international journals for possible
- Arya H. A simplified zigzag model for symmetric laminated composite
beams. communicated to international journal.
- Chinmay Patel, Arya H & Sudhakar K. "Design, build and fly
a solar powered aircraft" 53rd AGM Aeronautical Society of India,
Goa, January 18-19, 2002.
- Shivkumar R., Arya H & Sudhakar K. "Integration of Instrumentation
Payload on a Remotely Piloted Aerial Vehicle", 24th National Systems Conference
India on Systems and Technologies for Civil Aircraft, Systems Society of
India, ISRO Satellite Center, Bangalore, December 7-9, 2000.
- Shivkumar R., Arya H & Sudhakar K. "Design of an Airborne
Video Telemetry Platform", presented at Special Interest Group: Multidisciplinary
Design Optimization (SIG-MDO) Workshop, ADA, Bangalore August 13-14, 2000.
- Arya H., S.V. Prabhu & N.K. Naik, "Impact Behavior of Hybrid
Composites", National Symposium on Developments in Advanced Composites
& Structures, pp. 269-276., DRDL Hyderabad, Sept. 1994.
- Arya H., Shimpi R.P., "Dynamic Analysis of Simply Supported
Orthotropic Plate Using Higher Order Displacement Model", Ed. P.K Sinha,
S.Parthan, Computational Structural Mechanics, NASAS-94, Allied Publishers
Limited, Delhi, pp. 296-306, Dec. 1994.
- Arya H., Shimpi R.P., "Impact Analysis of Simply Supported Orthotropic
Plate Using Higher Order Displacement Model", Ed. P.K Sinha, S.Parthan,
Computational Structural Mechanics, NASAS-94, Allied Publishers Limited,
Delhi, pp. 168-176, Dec. 1994.
- K..N. Ramakrishnaiah, Arya H., N.K. Naik, "Effect of Fabric
Geometry on Damage Resistance of Woven Fabric Composites", Ed. A.R. Bunsell
et al, Developments in the Science and Technology of Composite Materials,ECCM6,
Woodhead Publishing Limited, England, pp. 251-256, Sept. 1993.
- N. K. Naik, B. Roy and Arya H., "Axial Flow Fans of Fiber Reinforced
Plastics : Near - Net Shape Manufacturing", ed. P. Ramakrishnan, International
Conference on Advances in Materials & Processes (ICAMPS-92), ASM International,
India Chapter, Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd, Bombay, pp. 319-330,
- Naik N. K., Roy Bhaskar and Arya H. : Design, Fabrication and
Testing of FRP Blades and Disks for Axial Flow Compressors / Fans : Report
No. IITB/AE/ARDB/MP/490/91, IIT, Bombay, 1991.
- Arya H., Naik N. K. and Roy B., "Axial Flow Fan Blades of Fibre
Reinforced Plastics - Tooling Details", Abstracts of the Technical Papers
- 5th NCAE, Organized by the Institution of Engineers (India) held at Chandigarh,
pp 22-23, Feb. 1990.
- Naik N. K., Roy B. and Arya H., "Design, Fabrication and Testing
of FRP Blades and Disks for Axial Flow Compressors/Fans", ARDB Newsletter,
Vol. 2, No. 1, p 6, Oct. 1989.
- Naik N.K., Roy Bhaskar and Arya H. : Axial Flow Fan Blades of
Fibre Reinforced Plastics: in Proceedings of Seminar on Quality and Technology
in Aerospace held at HAL, Bangalore, 1988.
Projects recently completed:
- Development of a security system using a microcontroller. In this project
a microcontroller is used which can take serial input and give output for
relays. A key pad is connected to it using RS232 for user name and password
input. After verification of the input relay based lock will be opened.
- Development of ground based auto navigation vehicle. In this project
a microcontroller will be used to take input from GPS and a magnetic heading
sensor. Based on pre decided way points and the inputs from the sensors
the microcontroller will be able to steer a ground vehicle to final destination.
Controller will be separate activity. This setup will be a ready to use
platform for contol law designer. Initially it will be implemented on a
model ground vehicle used by hobbyist.
- A countdown timer. In this project a countdown timer will be made and
to be used during presentation where the time allotted to the speaker will
be clearly displayed to manage his presentation. The timer will then count
down the time alloted for upto 2 examiners. Several other features are
supported which are highly suitable for the conduct of a seminar. This
device is based on a microcontroller.
- Solar powered miniature aircraft. In this project it is aimed
to design and fabricate a radio controlled aircraft which will be powered
by solar cells fixed on the wing. This is a part of B.Tech. project. This
will enhance our knowledge in MAV design.
- Developing a inertial navigation system to be used in laboratory
for small duration trajectory. It is expensive and difficult to handle
precision inertial navigation system at laboratory level. We are attempting
to build a low cost inertial navigation system using MEMS based sensors
and demonstrate for small trajectories. This type of facility will help
students in understanding the principles of an inertial navigation system.
- Development of a ground based autonomous vehicle. This project
is undertaken to gain more insight into design of controller for autonomous
vehicle. This knowledge will help in design and development of a flying
- ISRO launch vehicle simulation facility. This facility is unique
in our country where the actual hardware used in the launch vehicle is
in the simulation loop. Using this facility new control laws for launch
vehicle can be tested with hardware in loop.
Experimental Setup Developed
- Measurement of force and acceleration of a drop weight during impact
testing of composite plates. In this setup a impactor tup weighing 4 kg
is dropped on the clamped composite of 15 cm X 15 cm. The impact duration
is roughly 6-8 m sec. A data acquisition card is used to acquire the data
at 40 kHZ. This project involved design of a trigger mechanism, integration
of force and acceleration measurement equipment with data acquisition card.
This setup has been extensively used for many M.Tech. Projects to study
impact behaviour of composite materials. (1994)
- Two axis simulation rig was developed using servos used in radio controlled
aircraft. These servos require PWM for controlling the position. An analog
circuit was developed for conversion of dc voltage to PWM signal. Real
time simulation was achieved using 8254 timer. Aparna
worked full time on this project. This setup is part of modelling and
simulation laboratory course for Systems Engineering students. (1999)
- Inflight measurement of flight parameters for system identification.
In this project parameters required for pitching motion were identified.
Miniature sensors and data logger was used in this project. Eight parameters
from different sensors were recorded during the flight duration and latermilked
to computer for further processing. This project was part of M.Tech. thesis.
- One axis simulation rig was developed using a stepper motor and a stepper
motor controller card. This rig was used to demonstrate wing rock phenomenon
and control of it by using a rate sensor in feed back. Real time simulation
was achieved using 8254 timer. (2000)
- Pilot input from radio controlled transmitter recording on computer
using RS232. PIC16C54 microcontroller is used to measure the pulse width
and generate RS232 signal. PPM signal are transmitted in modern radio controlled
transmitters. The PPM signal is meant for six channel. (2001)
Plan for future: Interested in teaching
mechatronics from systems engineering point of view. Leading a project which
involves integration of mechanical and electronic hardware especially related
to miniature aerial vehicle. Requirement capture at system level and its
solution strategy. Developing new experimental setup for UG/PG lab.
Experience: Varied experience in setting
up laboratory experimental setup and integrating it with computers. Composite
testing and manufacturing. Partially managing the CASDE office.
- "Exploring Aeronautics" at Bombay Association for Science Foundation,
Nehru Science Center. September 15th, 2001
- "Principles of Flight" at Nehru Science Center as a part of centenary
celebration of Noble Prize. November 4th, 2001
1) Judge for Intel Science Talent Discovery Fair-2001.