Prof. Debasis Chakraborty has worked for 35 years in VSSC/ISRO and DRDL/DRDO on many practical aerodynamics and propulsion design problems pertaining to ISRO’s satellite launch vehicles and DRDO’s strategic and tactical missiles. He has superannuated from DRDL Hyderabad as outstanding scientist and hold the position of Associate Director (Technology) and Group Director (Design). Currently, he is the professor of Aerospace Engineering Department of Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. He has developed number of industry standard compressible CFD codes (RANS and LES) for aerodynamic and propulsion characterization of different kind of aerospace vehicles. His contributions in CFD simulations of external and internal flows has enabled the designers to take some standalone design decision based on numerical results without any experimental testing. He has published many papers (~250) in reputed international journals and conferences. He is the fellow of many prestigious professional bodies including Indian National Academy of Engineering, Telangana Academy of Science, Aeronautical Society of India etc. and received many awards including DRDO Scientist of the year, DRDO award for Best innovation/futuristic Development etc.. He is the review committee member of many national programs and member of editorial board of many aerospace journals. His research interest include Aerodynamics, Propulsion, CFD (RANS, LES, Grid free methods), Combustion, High speed reacting flows, modelling of turbulence – chemistry interaction, unsteady flows etc.
Awards & Fellowships
- Elected as Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering, Aeronautical Society of India, Institute of Engineers (India), Telengana Academy of Science
- DRDO Scientist of the year award 2012.
- DRDO award for Best innovation/futuristic Development, 2010
- Technology Group award (Group leader) of DRDL for 2008.
- Awarded AICTE-INAE Distinguished Visiting Professorship at Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore during 2007-2009.
- Awarded Aerospace Engineering Division subject prize by Institute of Engineers (India) for the year 2006-2007, 2012-2013, 2017-2018.